Job Title : Weldrite Ltd - Welding Apprentice (Level 2) - 13th September 2021 Start
Employer : Weldrite Ltd
Location : Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WV14 8RP
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship : Engineering Operative
Sector : Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies
Vacancy Reference : VAC-00282
Brief Description : The role will require the candidate to work in the field of welding operations. Welders are required to read and interpret welding specifications, establish the correct process to be used, select the correct material and welding equipment, prepare the material for welding and weld together the components in accordance with strict tolerances.
Qualifications Required : 3 or more GCSEs Grade 4 or above, including Maths, English Language and Science.
Vacancy Detail : In your role as an Apprentice Welder, you will:
• Report to the Operations Manager, and support the Welders as required.
WELDING OPERATIONS under supervision and following instructions given:
• Read and interpret drawings and specifications.
• Check dimensions of materials required using appropriate measuring tools.
• Prepare materials and components for welding operations ensuring optimum use of materials to avoid waste.
• Ensure metal is clean of rust, dirt, oil or other contaminants which would include the use of wire brush or angle grinder.
• Align components using callipers, rulers, clampers etc.
• Weld components together using mainly MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welding equipment.
• Test and inspect welds to discover any flaws and provide opportunity for other parties to inspect to ensure compliance with supplied information.
• Use plant and equipment correctly, in accordance with training and instruction as provided
• Assist the Welders where technically competent to do so.
• Perform modifications and repairs as required.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
You are required to:
• Take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your acts or omissions.
• Co-operate with management in complying with the company Health and Safety standards.
• Correctly use all personal protection, safety devices or equipment provided, reporting any defects to management.
• Adhere to work instructions and authorised practices. (Safe Working Procedures)
• Report any hazards or dangerous incidents to management.
• Report all injuries to a first aider or management.
• Conduct yourself in an orderly fashion when entering or leaving the premises.
• Not to interfere with any safety equipment, guards or interlocks or in anyway put yourself at risk by by-passing safe systems of work.
• Use the correct manual handling techniques when moving cages asking for assistance with heavy items as necessary.
Positions Available : 2
Working Week : Monday - Thursday 8am-5pm, Friday 7am - 4pm
Salary : £ 172.00 (Weekly)
Application Deadline Date : 26/06/2021
Possible Start Date : 13/09/2021
Personal Qualities : Demonstrates enthusiasm for developing a career in hands-on engineering.
Demonstrates the qualities of a team player.
The ability for creative thinking and problem solving.
Skills Required : An appreciation of general engineering, however no expert knowledge is required.
A general understanding of what work as a Welding Technician involves.
Future Prospects : Potential to gain Fabrication experience as well if candidates displays good understanding and work progress.
Training to be Provided : Level 2 Diploma in Engineering Operations
Level 2 Certificate in Engineering Operations
- Complying with statutory regulations and organisational safety requirements
- Working efficiently and effectively in an engineering environment
- Using and communicating technical information
- Lean/Business Improvement
- Mechanical maintenance/assemblies
- General Machining, Fitting and Assembly Applications
- Bench Fitting
Relevant Workplace Training
Functional Skills (If required)
Please note that this Intermediate (Level 2) Apprenticeship will last for 12-18 months. It will involve spending one day per week at MAKE UK's state-of-the-art Training Hub in Aston, and four days per week at the employer's site for the duration of the apprenticeship.
Other Information : First Year's wage is £4.30 but will increase to minimum wage for your age or higher in Years 2 and 3. The working environment is a production are that can become noisy and welding fumes occur. Candidates would have to wear suitable PPE which includes an air fed respirator. The job also entails amount of manual handling, for which in house training is provided.
The map below shows the employer's location