Job Title : Smurfit Kappa SSK - Mechanical Maintenance Advanced Apprentice - September 2020 Start
Employer : Smurfit Kappa SSK
Location : Birmingham, West Midlands, B7 5 RE
Position Type : Apprenticeship
Apprenticeship : Engineering Technician
Sector : Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies
Vacancy Reference : VAC-00134
Brief Description : An excellent opportunity for a Mechanical Maintenance Apprentice to work for an established manufacturing company based in Birmingham.
Qualifications Required : 5 GCSEs at 9 – 4 / A* - C (5 or above preferred), must include maths, English language, and ideally Science, or equivalent related qualification.
Vacancy Detail : Smurfit Kappa, a FTSE 100 company, is one of the leading providers of paper-based packaging solutions in the world, with approximately 46,000 employees in over 350 production sites across 35 countries and with a revenue of €8.9 billion in 2018. We are located in 23 countries in Europe, and 12 in the Americas.
Smurfit Kappa SSK, is an operating company of Smurfit Kappa and manufacturer packaging paper for the Corrugated Board Industry using recovered fibre as its base raw material
This apprenticeship will teach you mechanical core skill principles. You will initially spend your first year off-the-job training with Make UK training centre for 4 days and one day on-the-job training at the company to get hands on experience with members of our highly skilled Engineering Department.
As a Mechanical Maintenance Apprentice, you will be:
• Supporting the Engineers with the maintenance of the plant and equipment within the factory
• Undertaking preventative maintenance tasks
• You will input information into a planned maintenance system, and you will support the collection and analysis of production data, so computer skills will be necessary
• It is essential that you have a practical hands on approach to completing these tasks and you will need good organisational skills to enable you to manage the range of tasks competing for attention
• At the training facility you will be studying subjects to give you the appropriate knowledge and skills to carry out these tasks such as Engineering Maintenance Procedures and Techniques, Applications of Mechanical Systems and Electro, Pneumatic and Hydraulic Systems and Devices
Positions Available : 1
Working Week : Mon - Thurs: 8am - 4.30pm, Fri: 8.30am - 4.30pm
Salary : £171.00 Per Week
Application Deadline Date : 03/05/2020
Possible Start Date : 07/09/2020
Personal Qualities : The ideal candidate will be a team player, self-motivated, trustworthy, honest, punctual and conscientious with good attention to detail.
Skills Required : Good problem solving methodology with a practical hands-on approach.
Future Prospects : To become a fully qualified Mechanical Maintenance Engineer to HNC standard with potential to progress further in the business within the Engineering department and other departments if desired.
Training to be Provided : This 4 year programme will include:
• Engineering Basic Skills training – off the job full time at Make UK in Aston, Birmingham.
• NVQ level 3
• A Technical Certificate: BTEC Diploma (ONC)
• HNC Mechanical Engineering
• Employment Rights and Responsibilities
• Personal, learning and thinking skills award
• Outward Bound – team working skills – 1 week away from home and work
You will be trained in a wide variety of areas such as:
• Health and Safety
• Fork Lift Truck
• Confined space
• Working at height
• Overhead crane
What you could be involved in:
• Lathe work
• Plasma cutting
• Using a variety of hand tools
• Using power tools
In the Paper Mill
• Shaft laser alignment
• Bearing changes
• Fitting and removing rolls
• Fitting pumps and motors
• Refurbish and service of pumps, gearboxes, rolls
• Specific improvement projects (conception through to completion)
• Hydraulic maintenance
• LEAN philosophy and improvements
Other Information : To become a fully qualified Mechanical Maintenance Engineer to HNC standard with potential to progress further in the business within the Engineering department and other departments if desired.
Things to consider : The role may involve working at heights and/or working in confined spaces (full training will be given).
The map below shows the employer's location